MS Ride The Rhode cycling event needs volunteers for comms June 12

Paul W1PJS

Hi all:

Please let me know if you are interested in supporting communications for the Multiple Sclerosis cycling event with start and finish at URI main campus on Saturday June 12th…

We could use some mobile SAG volunteers as well as some for rest stops…

This event is similar to the Diabetes event with several cycling courses…

I’ll get you more info if you are interested…

Paul Silverzweig
W1PJS
RI Section Emergency Coordinator
FEMA/RIEMA All Hazards ComL
AUXCOMM
Military Auxiliary Radio Service
RI Assoc. of Emergency Managers
Chair, Radio Comms Committee
Portsmouth RI EMA
Trustee NB1RI Repeater Network
646-522-2262

--
73,

Paul, W1PJS
RI Section Emergency Coordinator

Teri Diiorio

Yes, I already thought I told you, but if not…
Who's in charge?
And I would like info when you have it
Teri D.

On May 2, 2021, at 1:06 PM, Paul W1PJS <W1pjs@...> wrote:

[...]

Ted Wrobel W1GRI

Interested - what ever you need

Ted W1GRI

[...]

Barry Noel

Hello Paul,

Hope all is well.
I am interested in participating in this event. I have a personal reason to support MS.
Prefer to be at a rest stop…near Point Judith if possible.
Regardless, of post…I will participate.

73’
Barry W1BSN

On May 2, 2021, at 1:06 PM, Paul W1PJS <W1pjs@hollowsolids.com> wrote:

[...]

For those responding, please indicate if you will be able to take a mobile SAG vehicle role… this is what they need mostly…

I know as per below Barry prefers a rest stop… Ted is flexible… others please contact me privately…

On May 3, 2021, at 11:36 AM, BARRY S NOEL <w1bsn@verizon.net> wrote:

[...]

Nancy usually there are pro bike mechanics mobile on the course and our job would be to call for them… also to call for emergency medical help or police if needed… the SAG vehicles basically run the course with one up by the lead riders (often professional cyclists training for big events, and so far ahead of the amateurs or casual riders) and to bring up the rear, and sometimes a third vehicle kinda leapfrogging with the first and last cars… we carry, usually, some water, an air pump, some odds and ends…

We may sometimes have to carry a bike and it’s rider back to the main location if they are exhausted or otherwise unable to complete the ride other than for serious injury (in which case an ambulance would take the rider, and we would carry the bike back… )

We also track cyclists, as some may drift off course here and there and require getting found… 🙄

At rest stops we are available to help relay counts, who is bringing up the rear, etc…

Note we do not use names or other personally identifiable info on the air beyond the bib number… no names, gender, ages, etc unless the cause of concern is specifically related to that… rare…

Use of over, out, and brevity and concise messages is key…

Obviously the SAG vehicles require us to bring our car and have mobile radio capability…

We will use the NB1RI repeaters for the net… there will be net control operators at URI who will handle all traffic… the repeaters will be closed to normal traffic during the event…

Hope that helps…

Paul Silverzweig
W1PJS
RI Section Emergency Coordinator
FEMA/RIEMA All Hazards ComL
AUXCOMM
Military Auxiliary Radio Service
RI Assoc. of Emergency Managers
     Chair, Radio Comms Committee
Portsmouth RI EMA
Trustee NB1RI Repeater Network
646-522-2262

On May 3, 2021, at 4:27 PM, Nancy Austin <resilientnancy@...> wrote:

Paul, I don't know what a SAG (support & gear?) Wagon is, but I'm happy to learn and help.

(FYI - In an earlier life I was a licensed bike mechanic with a decade working experience. Happy to offer basic help that way too on what I think I understand a SAG wagons job to be.)

Nancy KC1NEK

On Mon, May 3, 2021, 4:05 PM Paul W1PJS <W1pjs@...> wrote:
For those responding, please indicate if you will be able to take a mobile SAG vehicle role… this is what they need mostly…

I know as per below Barry prefers a rest stop… Ted is flexible… others please contact me privately…

Paul Silverzweig
W1PJS
RI Section Emergency Coordinator
FEMA/RIEMA All Hazards ComL
AUXCOMM
Military Auxiliary Radio Service
RI Assoc. of Emergency Managers
     Chair, Radio Comms Committee
Portsmouth RI EMA
Trustee NB1RI Repeater Network
646-522-2262
> On May 3, 2021, at 11:36 AM, BARRY S NOEL <w1bsn@...> wrote:
>
> Hello Paul,
>
> Hope all is well.
> I am interested in participating in this event. I have a personal reason to support MS.
> Prefer to be at a rest stop…near Point Judith if possible.
> Regardless, of post…I will participate.
>
> 73’
> Barry W1BSN
>
>> On May 2, 2021, at 1:06 PM, Paul W1PJS <W1pjs@...> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all:
>>
>> Please let me know if you are interested in supporting communications for the Multiple Sclerosis cycling event with start and finish at URI main campus on Saturday June 12th…
>>
>> We could use some mobile SAG volunteers as well as some for rest stops…
>>
>> This event is similar to the Diabetes event with several cycling courses…
>>
>> I’ll get you more info if you are interested…
>>
>> Paul Silverzweig
>> W1PJS
>> RI Section Emergency Coordinator
>> FEMA/RIEMA All Hazards ComL
>> AUXCOMM
>> Military Auxiliary Radio Service
>> RI Assoc. of Emergency Managers
>>    Chair, Radio Comms Committee
>> Portsmouth RI EMA
>> Trustee NB1RI Repeater Network
>> 646-522-2262
>>

>> --
>> 73,
>>
>> Paul, W1PJS
>> RI Section Emergency Coordinator

--
73,

Paul, W1PJS
RI Section Emergency Coordinator

--
73,

Paul, W1PJS
RI Section Emergency Coordinator

Sally Hanson

I am interested. Please change my email to:

kb1rhd@gmail.com

I have requested this previously.

Thank you.

Sally

[...]

Mike Brankert

Paul, I`ve done the Tour de cure a couple, and might be interested in being sag.
Send me the info. Thanks.

Mike Brankert
KC1BKZ
73

On Sunday, May 2, 2021, 01:06:16 PM EDT, Paul W1PJS <w1pjs@...> wrote:

[...]

Which link am I suppose to go to to change my email address? I tried this one, see below, but didn't work:
You automatically follow any topics you start or reply to.
View/Reply Online (#535): https://RI-ARES.groups.io/g/main/message/535

[...]

Steve Arnold

Hey Paul,

I am interested, please send me more information.

Steve

On Sun, May 2, 2021 at 1:06 PM Paul W1PJS <W1pjs@...> wrote:
[...]

Steve Meade  KC1AQQ
24 Boulevard
Middletown, RI  02842

Randy Parrott

I am interested

On Tuesday, May 4, 2021, 4:14 PM, Steve Arnold <kc1aqq@...> wrote:

[...]

Jim Creamer

I wish I could participate, however, I am back to work after a 5 day hospital stay for a blood infection and am scheduled to work all weekends.

Jim Creamer
KB1MAO
Westerly, RI

[...]

Ralph Smith Jr

Are there still spots available? I am interested in helping out with the bike ride.

Sent from ProtonMail mobile

I wish I could participate, however, I am back to work after a 5 day hospital stay for a blood infection and am scheduled to work all weekends.

Jim Creamer
KB1MAO
Westerly, RI

For those responding, please indicate if you will be able to take a mobile SAG vehicle role… this is what they need mostly…

I know as per below Barry prefers a rest stop… Ted is flexible… others please contact me privately…

Paul Silverzweig
W1PJS
RI Section Emergency Coordinator
FEMA/RIEMA All Hazards ComL
AUXCOMM
Military Auxiliary Radio Service
RI Assoc. of Emergency Managers
Chair, Radio Comms Committee
Portsmouth RI EMA
Trustee NB1RI Repeater Network
646-522-2262
> On May 3, 2021, at 11:36 AM, BARRY S NOEL <w1bsn@...> wrote:
>
> Hello Paul,
>
> Hope all is well.
> I am interested in participating in this event. I have a personal reason to support MS.
> Prefer to be at a rest stop…near Point Judith if possible.
> Regardless, of post…I will participate.
>
> 73’
> Barry W1BSN
>
>> On May 2, 2021, at 1:06 PM, Paul W1PJS <W1pjs@...> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all:
>>
>> Please let me know if you are interested in supporting communications
>> for the Multiple Sclerosis cycling event with start and finish at URI
>> main campus on Saturday June 12th…
>>
>> We could use some mobile SAG volunteers as well as some for rest
>> stops…
>>
>> This event is similar to the Diabetes event with several cycling
>> courses…
>>
>> I’ll get you more info if you are interested…
>>
>> Paul Silverzweig
>> W1PJS
>> RI Section Emergency Coordinator
>> FEMA/RIEMA All Hazards ComL
>> AUXCOMM
>> Military Auxiliary Radio Service
>> RI Assoc. of Emergency Managers
>> Chair, Radio Comms Committee
>> Portsmouth RI EMA
>> Trustee NB1RI Repeater Network
>> 646-522-2262
>>

>> --
>> 73,
>>
>> Paul, W1PJS
>> RI Section Emergency Coordinator

--
73,

Paul, W1PJS
RI Section Emergency Coordinator

Paul W1PJS

I’ll check but I think we are full up Ralph